Job no: 492481
Work type: Full Time
Location: Head Office, Canberra
Classification: DHA Level 5
Governance is responsible for facilitating and administering compliance with DHA's legislative requirements and overarching governance frameworks, as well as providing quality service and fostering relationships with DHA customers and stakeholders. As part of this area, the WHS function fosters a positive safety culture, ensures a safe workplace, lessens injury/illness and improves the health and wellbeing of people working with us, and maintains a health and safety management system.
You will work as part of a small team with limited direction to undertake, not only typical WHS tasks, but also dynamic initiatives and projects aimed at improving the capability and performance of the organisation. Being energetic and highly motivated, you will instil and continually reinforce a corporate culture of acting lawfully, ethically and responsibly in accordance with legislative requirements and other overarching governance framework.
You’re passionate about safety, and the safety of those around you. In this role you will get to share that enthusiasm with the entire organisation as you strive to constantly develop and implement WHS strategy, services and programs that nurture a safety-conscious culture at DHA. Contributing to the implementation and continuous improvement of health, safety and quality management systems will be key, making sure they meet the requirements of WHS legislation and policy. Developing strong bonds with internal and external stakeholders and subject matter experts will allow you to work collaboratively to investigate and resolve complex and sensitive WHS matters.
You will demonstrate your highly developed technical knowledge as you evaluate activities and processes, ensuring they comply with WHS legislation, policies and procedures, as well as perform as intended. You enjoy learning the latest in WHS, as you undertake research and analysis, then take the initiative to apply your learning by identifying corrective or alternative courses of action to mitigate WHS risks. You will also prepare recommendations and reports, while maintaining good record keeping through various information technology programs and databases.
Your strong knowledge of all aspects of WHS legislation and their interpretation will empower you to provide advice on these topics, as well as DHA policies, to a broad cross-section of stakeholders. Ideally you would have a tertiary qualifications, such as a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety.
What we are looking for:
Appointments in the Australian Public Service are merit-based. We will make an assessment of your suitability by looking at what you have done previously – the knowledge, skills and experience you have built, your potential for development, and your personal qualities.
For this role, we will consider how well you:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of WHS strategy, services and programs to foster a positive safety culture at DHA.
- Contribute to the implementation and continuous improvement of health, safety and quality management systems, ensuring compliance with WHS legislation and policy.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders and subject matter experts to investigate and resolve complex and sensitive WHS matters.
- Apply technical knowledge to evaluate activities and processes for compliance with WHS legislation, policies and procedures.
- Undertake research and analysis, and take initiative to identify corrective or alternative courses of action to mitigate WHS risks.
- Provide advice on the application of WHS legislation and DHA policies and procedures.
- Analyse information, prepare recommendations and reports, and maintain good record keeping through various information technology programs and databases.
Applicants are short listed based on the merit principles contained in the Public Service Act 1999.
Please note this role will be filled on a non-ongoing basis up to 24 months
Any Order of Merit established from this selection process will remain active for up to 12 months from the date of this gazette and may be used to fill future ongoing or non-ongoing roles.
Please Note: Position can be based in either Darwin, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or Perth
View Position Description
AUS Eastern Standard Time
AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Employee Referral Apply now